Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Earthquake and Fire Weather






The wind is blowing in a way that I have always identified with winter weather, except it is like 80 degrees at 10 p.m. in Los Angeles. You can hear the furious whirring that can splinter 100 year old trees. I sat outside a little while ago, while it was still light, and I enjoyed the wild waftings and the blowing leaves. It did occur to me that given the sudden shift from cool and dreary to sunny, warm and swirling swoops of air, it is indeed "earthquake weather". I have a big, too heavy, bag behind some drapes in the living room, with likely out of date supplies. That's all I have. And a fear of having to leave my pets behind if the room starts to rumble. But that is just superstition, the idea of sudden warm weather meaning an apocalypse. Right? Darn well hope so.

I hear the wind chimes and danger doesn't seem close. Then "breaking news" that a fire burns in Santa Barbara, again, spurred on by the winds. I have a friend who has parents living there. I think mom is with her for an early celebration of a major birthday with her sisters. I am guessing Dad is still there. Is it in their neighborhood, backed against a beautiful but tree filled hill? I can only pray not. I'll call her in the morning and leave a message on her cell. It's not likely it is her family. But it's someones. Twenty houses already lost and no chance of reprieve as long as the weather holds, which it is expected to do through the weekend. Early summer in LA is a contradiction. A joy for the prospective beachgoer. A tragedy for fireman and home owners.

It's quieter now. Still, even. Ominous? Or a goodly sign?

I just checked on the cat inhabitants of my backyard, two owned by my neighbor upstairs, one, Elwood, inherited by me when he ran away from my next door neighbor and took up residence under the house. I seem to be the only one who can actually pick him up. The little crew just begged crackers from me. They don't seem to be acting as if there is danger in the land. They say that animals can tell if an earthquake is coming. Well, these little creatures could only tell that food was coming their way when I came outside. That calms me. They calm me. I may sit outside again for a while and let the wind, which has kicked up again, whip about me reminding me of the power of nature. Despite the destruction that can be wreaked, there is also the feeling of awe at He who is behind the natural world, with its caresses and its blows. "The world" said Gerard Manley Hopkins, "is charged with the Grandeur of God." The world of Los Angeles is certainly well charged tonight!


No comments: