Monday, November 21, 2011

Missing You Desperately: My Friend Noreen



Noreen at a party in the Bronx thrown by yours truly with ample assist from my late dad.
Circa 1979

So long ago all this was. And it seemed it would all last forever. We were twenty somethings, not that long out of college and staking our places in the world.  I offer this to the next generation---that old saw, but true one--CARPE DIEM!  It does go so darn fast.

The people I met at college and law school, they have sustained me through the years. Noreen was one of those I was so lucky to know for many of them. When I first moved to California, she called my dad regularly to be sure he was all right (he moved here 8 months later).

She used to say in her notes to her friends, particularly those of us who left  New York for other climes--"Miss you desperately".

It is one year in a few days since Noreen died.  She was a kind, loving, smart friend. A whole bunch of us miss HER desperately. And won't forget her. 

She was, by the way, a good writer. I have kept the link to her blog on mine and I would say, take a look. Sounds of the Past. It keeps her among us. And Facebook. I love Facebook for that, among other reasons.

Happy Thanksgiving Noreen. Commend us to God who no doubt keeps you close.










No comments: