Monday, May 13, 2013

A Lazy Summer Day, in the Spring

When I first was retired, I felt as if I had to continue to work after a fashion, to accomplish something.

I really worried about this. But then I became comfortable with commanding only myself, with occasional digressions of dealing with the life crises of other folks. I did do a little intense stuff, like writing a book, and having it looked at by a professional story analyst. After that guidance, I put aside the oeuvre, engaging in mental gyrations about what changes I ought to make until I felt right about making them.  This is taking longer than I expected, so far, over month.

I continue to have a few things I do "regularly".  I continue to serve nearly daily aI t Mass. I believe this has caused many Graces to be bestowed upon my resistant soul. I meet up with certain friends regularly for lunch. I still read for Learning Ally (formerly Reading for the Blind and Dyslexic) and I still love that.

I should have been there today, at Learning Ally. But I played hookey. It was another hot day in LA, well before noon, when I went to have work done on my teeth. Then Mass. Then I picked up some brushes at Aaron's. Then I went to Gelson's. When I got home I had a pleasant Gelson's Turkey sandwich.

And then the pool in my comjplex beckoned.  I took my recently purchased polyurethane noodle and went downstairs in my hardly ever used bathing suit and a tee to avoid being burned, and also to hide my girth. About five years ago, after my father died, I made a swim in that pool and a neighbor failed to make his comments about my less than stunning body sotto voce.  I am at a new stage in life. I really don't care. And he wasn't home.

The sun was creating these lights and shadows on the pool surface and in I went and floated. Just floated around. And it was beyond a peaceful pleasure. I had the pool all to myself for over a half hour. Summer vacation like once it was, only better. All I had to do was to run downstairs, leaving my apartment door open, and then when I finished, a few steps back upstairs. Wow. Never had THIS in the Bronx!



Then a neighbor came, and it was nice because although I have known him sort of for over several years, I had no idea about his life and he told me a little of his time as a teacher from which he will soon retire himself. He also is writing, and has plans. I thought how we are all so much the same, and in a good way. What was it that Harry Stack Sullivan said, "We are all more human than otherwise."

Once I dried enough I next found myself on my terrace, more or less finishing an impromptu painting I started yesterday.  I now overlooked the pool and was amazed at the steadiness of my hand and the magic of something I have made appearing on the blank canvas.

And nw, it is nearly 11 p.m. and I will probably take a final turn on the terrace, being grateful for this preview of summer. My life is so different from just a few years ago. And some days are better than others, as always. But overall, days like this, can't be beat!

 



No comments: