Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday and The Impending Lent Hiatus





I seem to be read by a few people on this and my other blog, according to the counter which I recently attached here. That satisfies my ego. Which brings me to today's last entry for the next 46 days. Easter is 46 days from now, and before that there is Lent, the time of the effort to meditate upon the extraordinary gift of God's sacrifice we Christians believe saved us from eternal suffering. The suffering now, the legacy of the sin of Adam and Eve, still persists, but joined by He who broke into Time, we have hope. As my pastor says, weak beings that we are, we fail in that hope all too often despite the absolute objective certainty of that act of salvation, and Lent is an opportunity to reconnoitre spiritually. Not only is there to be meditation, but some acts that demonstrate our commitment to faith, to the meaning of the life, death and resurrection of He who loves us so much he chases us despite our constant rejections of him---my constant rejections of him.

I have had some vague ideas of what this Lent, as opposed to the multiple failed Lents of years past, might be. No point trying to detail them here, since they remain somewhat unformed and I don't want to make any promises publicly, let alone privately.

There is one thing I intend to do and that is to minimize my entwinement in the electronic world. Can't do it totally. I have a work computer. I have to be reached sometimes. But, some things just aren't critical, as much as I may enjoy them. One is this blog and the one that features stories and reminiscences about my dad. So, those few of you who do read these blogs, and thank you for doing that, my ego requires some taming, and I am going to go on a hiatus until Easter. If by some chance I extend this to all uses of my personal computer, like e mail, if you don't hear from me or I don't respond, know that it isn't because I am ignoring you. I am on a small quest, likely one that won't find me far from home literally or figuratively. And maybe I'll learn something from it and return to these pages a bit more spiritually whole---more connected to the meaning of the puzzle that is the life of each one of us.

No comments: