Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Biel Surprise




As my friend, Len Speaks, points out, this Hollywood Bowl season has been wildly uneven. I never care, as long as I have the setting sun, the breeze, the mountains in view, followed by the twinkling stars. But it is nice, beyond wonderful, when the show is good. I had high expectations that a "Guys and Dolls" with Scott Bakula and Brian Stokes Mitchell would be good. I have seen both these actors, cum singers, in other presentations and I know that they have singing, theatric skills. I did, however, wonder whether Jessica Biel, the young woman formerly of Seventh Heaven and fodder for ever tabloid based upon her current dating habits, could compete witht those performers. I am a bit ashamed to admit my bias, that is, I thought she could not, and that she probably been allowed to join the cast in some Hollywood low brow deal, and took quickie voice lessons so that she would not be entirely embarrassed.

Perhaps the extreme pleasure of the evening was that she is a singer, one that could match Stokes Mitchell well and truly. In fact, I could have sworn, by how the two of them intermixed on stage that they actually liked each other, in character. Funny how this young woman I do not know, never will know, I found myself proud of as if I were her very mother. Look what Jessica can do! She's not just a TV actress, or a bit of fluff. She has entertainment substance.


I was smiling at the stage and the big screen every time she came on stage. I wish her the best, and the fullest career. Of course that means she'll make lots more money than me, and she'll be the object of love and interest, and I won't. But even though that is the case, good for her!

No comments: