Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Newly Minted Celtic (Fan)




I have paid little attention to professional basketball. For that matter, I guess I am not much of a fan of any organized sport. I am not, mind you, disdainful. But since my parents had little interest, I developed their lack thereof. I have enjoyed, in fact, over the years the occasional foray into the bleechers of one sport or another. Hockey. A King's game once. Baseball. Len of Len Speaks has been my host, if you will, at Met and Dodger games, and even the odd Yankee game. Never been to a basketball game.



When I was recently back East, I was in the home of some friends, who are big Celtic fans, and in the middle of a gathering, I noticed most everyone was off in the den catching up on the one of the early games between the Celtics and the LA Lakers that would determine the championship for 2010. I sat with them and they, in between successful shots of their team, asked me who I favored. I had to admit that I was really neutral. Jokingly, they suggested I needed to make a choice, given the loyalties in that room.



I found myself wishing I had the kind of passion for the game that they did. And that I had a team to root for. A passing, not particularly intense thought was this.



Back in Los Angeles, car after car waved Laker flags in anticipation of the last game, the one here at the Staples Center that would make or break it, now that the teams were tied.

Game 7. I happened to run across flipping channels, the beginning of the third quarter. I found myself sitting, and watching. And enjoying. I could imagine my friends back in Massachusetts noisily delighted that the Celtics appeared to stay just ahead of Kobe and Company. I had a slight bias, I realized, toward the shamrocks. I actually felt a little nervous as the Lakers' defense kept the Celtics from shots to get them way ahead. And then the Lakers were able to pull just ahead leaving no further chances for the Boston team. LA wins. My disappointment was nominal. And then. . . .



In celebration, a rather significant number of "fans' of the Lakers decided to rock taxis, vandalize businesses and light inappropriate items on fire. It has happened before. Back in Boston, I hear, the losers were more, well, civilized. Nary a person or thing was disturbed. All was as it should be. But here in LA, shameful behavior, again. And I felt a need, a silly need, perhaps, to rebel.



So, as of that night, I decided. I am now officially a Celitc fan. Next year, I will be watching, and rooting for, them. I will be doing this particularly when they are playing the Lakers. Oh, I know, it wasn't the Laker's fault. I am not necessarily applying logic in making this decision. But it's a statement of some sort, that I need to make to myself, for whatever it is worth, likely nothing. It is, as they say, what it is. Go Celtics, 2011!


No comments: