Sunday, February 6, 2011

Seen, and Heard, and Felt

Life is a series of moments, isn't it? Macrocosmic and microcosmic. Macrocosmic, no need to point out, is the unrest in Egypt that is having a ripple effect throughout the Middle East. It might be a good idea for Mubarak to go, but only if who replaces him is not more of a tyrant. And while some commentators give short shrift to the idea of the replacement being USA friendly, and by corollary, Israel friendly, this seems essential if Armageddon is to be avoided, at least for the time being.

We don't realize how our little lives here in America are dependent on the stabililty, such as it is, of those regions now in turmoil. All those things we take for granted as part and parcel of our lives are luxuries for people in Egypt and rare ones if some religious fanatic takes over, say one who would make women cover up and be banished to nothingness.

Microcosmic--the joy at watching what must be a couple of long years' bundled up against our California cold (like 45 degrees, yes, that is COLD for us) holding hands and walking across the street on Beverly Boulevard. She held onto him as if he, aged parent though he was, could protect her from the denizens of the underworld. What luck that these two met each other!

Heard, starting about 3:30 our time, the preliminary shouts of cheer for the Superbowl. Those of us who are not football fans are a bit on the outside looking in today, aren't we? Me, I read the paper outside in the warmth we had today, and am listening to my Ipod as I clean the apartment in preparation for the visit of a friend, on Friday from out of town. But I feel a tad ashamed not to be part of the secular ritual (said the paper) that is the Superbowl. When I told someone today that I wasn't a big fan of the sport, I sensed a bit of a let down in the other. A failure on my part. As I write, I shout of OHHHHHHH! Some action just concluded on the field.

An older friend is recovering from hip surgery, and except for needing to gain weight is amazingly fresh and well only days later.

My internist convinced me to have a vaccination the other day, for whooping cough. He asked, "How do you feel about vaccinations?" Having not had any since childhood, I had no feeling. This one he thought was necessary. And man, what an ache it has left! Two and a half days of icing. Only today does it feel normal again, although I have odd dimples in the area of the injection. Pain, me, coward.

Sunday winds down. It's time to relax and prepare for the work week. And then meeting up with a good old friend.

No comments: