Tuesday, July 19, 2011

National Geographic in the Window

Less than a week ago, there were three blue eggs in a perfectly placed nest in the bouganvilla outside my window.  Mother bird, alas I have no idea what kind, but she has a long tail and she makes this really loud screeching noise when she encounters other creatures, like crows, spent sporadic time carefully positioning herself on top of the eggs.  Sometimes I'd see only the long tail pointed upwards.  Other times she was facing me as I passed by the window to turn on a light, or adjust something or another in the room, and regarding me suspiciously. As well she should we humans.  The last time a bird made a nest in that locale, the gardeners hacked at the bush and who knows where the nest ended up. This time, I advised the relevant people of the nest and requested that the bush not be cut pending babies and bird adulthood. 
At the end of last week, suddenly there was a lot of rustling in the nest, and I began to see two yellow beaks popping up every time mom, and I think dad, too, came by with regurgitated food.


That thrusting up of the neck for food seems to be reflexive to any sound they hear which SEEMS to be materfamilias or paterfamilias. And it remiinds me of a synchornized swimming routine, perfectly timed indeed.
Unlike other new comers to the bird family, they do not seem to make that "eke eke" noise I usually hear in the spring. That is good because the sound has to bring the predators. I hate that time, when crows are attacking nests all over the neighborhood.  But right now, these quiet ones seem to be unmolested. Actually, this progeny appear to be late in the season which caused me to worry a bit about their survival.  But so far, they seem to be thriving. In between frequent feeds (I think ultimately "eat like a bird" may mean eat a lot, just in short spurts), they settle into the nest and are hard to see as their color is camoflaged by it. But occasionally, I will seek one push the other with its puny looking but powerful talons.
I love to watch them breath, this incredibly tiny new life, quick and insistent. They want to be here to stay.

I want that too. Just as I complete this entry a take out lunch has been delivered.  It is so delightful.

No comments: