Friday, October 28, 2011

The Voice Over Artist--Update


Where the dulcet tones go.

Those of you who read this blog know that in late July, shortly after the separation from my long time job, I began taking a class in voice acting. And, as I may or may not have written, it is a form of acting. In some ways I am beginning to think it is harder than being on stage or television, because EVERYTHING has to be done with the voice and intonation.

The place I chose to take the classes after getting the low down that this was a place that actually trained was Kalmenson and Kalmenson. The first level one, truly a foundations course, was six weeks. Last night, I completed the four week second level. I am now at the point where the next step is the course on HOW to do a decent demo to be sent out to find an agent and to do on line auditions. That won't be until January. In the meantime, I have joined a site, Voice123, and have been practicing as well as making a couple of auditions, which probably aren't being considered because I don't also have a generic demo.

What have I discovered? Well, these foundation courses in part help you define your "signature". You don't necessarily have only one. I certainly don't. Last night, the instructor, the marvelous Samantha Robson (my previous instructor was the equally marvelous Kathy Grable) and there was a guest instructor Melique Berger, with whom I felt a particular click probably because she was raised in New York and had that New York thing going. Which brings us back to me and at least part of my signature, which is bold, energetic, kind of Laine Kazan, ish. Some people are saying "hey, of course" that's how she always is. But I also have a good voice of the confidante, the teacher, the psychologist, cosmetic (like those kind of ads), quirky, comedic, intellectual, fun. So much depends on the copy and the image of "Who am I talking to", which is part of the method. Yes, here I am Djinn from the Bronx, talking about an acting method. I am as it were "finding my truth". The idea is never to fake it, but to use tools to bring up something real in doing the copy. I love dialogue and there are a couple of the training pieces I did (which I get to keep on a jump drive) with one or two of my colleague students (some of whom are already in the business and were refreshing) were amazing! Last night, I was the bored woman trying to hire a burrito as a teacher. It was fund and me, and Robert (Schiede, he has a website) clicked. But Robert clicked with others as well, including one that he and the other student were doing these Schwartenegger type accents that were gut funny. 

What else? I have discovered I am good. But that is probably not going to be enough. The others are very good and the voice over circuit is filled with terrific talents. But I am going forward. You know why? I just like it. I like the people I am meeting. I like the work I am learning.

What else? I have remembered how freeing being creative is. I was going to say "for me", but I am guessing that others experience the same thing when they have the opportunity to explore the creative side. I suppose being a lawyer has its creative side. In fact, I know that it does. But my experience so far is that was always SO serious and the outcomes that were possible were so serious as well. And the unhappiness around me was so intense. With this added endeavor, I can almost physically let out a breath, the one I have been holding for years.  I have to be professional to be sure, and I am learning the parameters, but I can also be myself and use what I AM to make the necessary connection..

One thing I have come to, at least for now, is the confirmation that I found the perfect place for me to be in the law, in the Ethics world.  I had seen a lot of ugliness that is the reality of the business and I knew that sleeping at night was more important to me than making a lot of money. The Bar was the providential match for this young lawyer, who morphed into an upper middle age lawyer while moving up in the ranks. There  could I try to fulfill a mission to keep the profession as it was meant to be, but what I saw it was not. Removed from that part of the field that fit my conscience, and my sensibilities, I'm not sure what "Djinn, Esq." will look like. I think ultimately it will be good, notwithstanding the unsettling way in which I was launched.  And voice over background can only be an asset.

And finally, there is a freedom in having nothing to prove anymore except to myself. I been there, trying to prove my worth to  the world and to various individuals within it, and it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be anyway.  It did not even matter if I did prove myself.  I should have known that.  Life is a series of  hard lessons that knock sense and humility into us and hopefully make us better people besides.  That better person is a hard nut to crack. I have a feeling I will be doing that right up to the last breath..

So, now, on hiatus from the voice over classes, I need to practice, figure out the needs of marketing, and networking. I am not good at those last two. I always feel a little ashamed like I don't belong where I am, but I see now, also that it is the only way to get ahead in this (or any) chosen profession.

So, time to get on Audacity and lay down a practice track and transfer it to a jump drive, several times. Cool. I feel 20 again. I wish I looked it. Tempus fugit, right?

No comments: