Friday, January 27, 2012

The Crazy Lady Corner -- Inaugural Edition --January 26, 2011

I want to thank a former colleague of the defense bar who represents attorneys I used to prosecute for providing me with what I think will be a new, semi-regular part of this Djinn's lamp. I was surprised (and really glad I never said anything bad about him on these pages!) to learn  (at a small gathering to celebrate the retirement of a fellow beloved old timer from the State Bar at the kabob place that those who toil at the work of lawyer regulation in LA frequent) that AM has been reading my blog. His partner, and, though I do not see her nearly as much as I should, someone I consider a BFF (or in Big Bang Theory parlance, a 'Bestie') has not, however, read these pages, but she had gotten word from AM upon his perusals that I am truly "crazy." She shared that with me over my chicken koobideh, half salad, half rice.

We never did get into exactly the particulars of his perception of my craziness. And, my guess is that I would not agree with those perceptions as, though I love and respect them both, we have never seen eye to eye on a variety of subjects macrocosmic and when I was a prosecutor at the Bar, microcosmic. But that's what makes this part of the blue ball bounce--the variety in the marketplace of ideas.

But truly, I thank ye, AM and SM for providing me a first semi-regular (we shall see) installment of these pages. By the way AM, I promised to mentioned this--you don't look a day different than when I met you in March 1986.

As of this writing, I am not entirely sure what exactly will spring from the corner of my mind. But you will know that somethin' is a comin', political, religious, observational, but a little toward, well, the ranting (I know, I know, some are saying you do that in the regular entries, pshaw!). I shall be a little like the average crazy lady (is there an average?) that is, bouncing divergent thoughts on a wide variety of bouncing divergent subjects. (Hearing it again, "you do that already, Djinn dear".). Let's see how do I give it a tangible image for future reference?   When you see this picture, you'll know, and either shout "Now I must toggle" or some such more expressive phrase or stay and read with I hope a tad of amusement.  Hopefully my mood swings will provide that tad of amusement.

A picture is worth a thousand word salads.



This is my little bar. I live in a small place and so I must needs have a little bar for my wines and glasses and imbibing related activities. It is in a corner of my living room within easy reach of my favorite swivelling rocking leather chair full of cat scratches and thus covered with a variety of pillows and blankets that only makes it MORE attractive to the feline beasts who usually beat me to it. That alone would drive me to drink.

Where was I? Oh. Above the bar is a painting by moi of a favorite subject, palm trees, these in a wind, much like the one we are starting to have in Los Angeles just now. There are coasters courtesy of the land of my parents back in the old days in the Bronx. They were well used before I ever inherited them. There are newer coasters, that you can put a small snapshot in. There is a nearly empty bottle of Bombay Gin, which awaits completion by the person who left it here a few days ago. I drink the less expensive stuff, with tonic water, Gordon's and that too is almost gone as I have been on a recent gin and tonic kick. Those who remember the second Bronx apartment will remember the small marble head of Nefertiri that used to belong to my dad. I have recently rescued her from the garage because it was actually a fairly valuable gift from a friend who visited Egypt many years ago. She used to light up, but the wires long ago frayed. But I always liked her.  And somehow she fits on a bar, n'est ce pas? And then sort of to the left on the wall is my all purpose mail, key and sunglasses holder, near the door so I don't forget the key things coming in or going out.  And two corkscrews hang from one of the key rings. Oh, back to the actual bar, you see that candle? That is a Glade candle, you know the one that melts and then sends a lovely scent wafting through the room? They are getting hard to find these days. Like my Banana Nut Crunch, which I can only find at Gelson's these days. Did you ever notice that products you like disappear once you become dependent on them?  That scared me. I sounded like the late Andy Rooney just then. 

So there you are, a small piece of my living space reflecting perhaps a small piece of my frontal lobe.

Let's see where it goes.

No comments: