Monday, January 9, 2012

Jeff's New Chapter: Free as a Bird


Ok, it's a pelican, courtesy of the art at Oakland Airport

My friend and colleague, Jeff, decided to call it a day at his life's work, which was the same as mine and was how we met. He worked in the San Francisco office, so we did not see each other as frequently as we would have liked, except by video conference at manager meetings. But when we did see each other live and in person, it was always a treat. I consider him one of my best friends. In a moment, one reason I'll share, the others I'll just keep to ourselves.


So, when Jeff's retirement party was announced by his crew up in San Francisco, the group of us  in Los Angeles who preceded him in liberation were invited, but I don't think Jeff or anyone really expected us to come for a party that would only be a few hours. But, it turned out that several of us not only wanted to be there, but we were otherwise able to do so. From here, I relate my experience of what really was just over 24 hours, but which was as much as lovely a time away and with people I cherish (especially Jeff) in Oakland and Berkeley and a few observations on my hopes for Jeff as he embarks on this new and exciting chapter of his journey on this bouncing ball.  A digression here. 


Jeff and I became the surest of friends in Denver, Colorado.  Back in the flush days of the Bar, when we were among the golden children of trials and still up and coming, we were rewarded by educational jaunts. There was one related to Judicial Commissions, if memory serves. A couple of us went from Southern California, and a couple from Northern, Jeff among them.  I did not know Jeff virtually at all at that time, and then we only had telephones, and neither cell nor video. The conference was about as dull as dirt. I actually recall polishing my nails (discreetly) during part of it. It was, for me, a Holy Day of Obligation, but as it happened I liked to look for local churches and just go in  for Mass or sit and meditate. When the session was over for the day, that was my mission, find a church and go to Mass. As we were filing out, Jeff, in his usual cheerful manner said, "So where are you going?"  "I am going to look for a Church and go to Mass". This was not something I generally announced, but his direct question required a direct answer. And then Jeff said, "I'll come with you."  It turned out he was Catholic. And the two of us bonded as we searched for, and found a Church that was pleasing visually and ceremonially. And our bond was born. 


As they say in my new world of recording for the blind and dyslexic now we "return to text". 


I arrived in Burbank for my 1:50 flight to Oakland, like an hour ahead, plenty of time. But I could not find my flight on the schedule. I had assumed, when I booked, that Southwest only flew out of Burbank and Burbank was my choice, quieter, less hassle. Except my assumption was wrong, and well, they fly out of LAX too, and guess what, my flight was out of LAX! I had already parked my car in the overnight lot and there was no way to get to LAX in time, so I ran to the desk (which was empty!!!!!!), acknowledged m stupidity and paid the charge to make a last minute change for a flight out of Burbank at exactly the same time.  As usual as the flight began I tried to quash the many thoughts of doom and gloom I have on airplanes, and contented myself that I'd only be doing that (if I lived) for a bit over an hour.  Naturally, because of the winds coming down to LA from the north, the flight was a bumpy one and like my last flight back from Missouri, the beverage service was interrupted for the flight attendants to take their seats. (GULP)


But having made it to the ground safely, seeing that the weather was pristine and being picked up by El Jeffe himself, I was restored to joy, which increased exponentially when I saw that my overnight accommodations was this amazing hotel in the hills from the late 1800s. The Claremont is reminiscent of the Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado, and although a different body of water, it is on the Bay of San Francisco.  Jeff had to go home to change from his "I've been moving appliances around my friends' house" clothes and this gave me time to savor my locale and have a drink at the Paragon Bar (and yes, it was a paragon of libation virtues) with one of my fellow travellers who just perfectly was done the hall from me in the hotel, Victoria. I savored the most exquisite pear martini and we chatted of life and freedom as we awaiting Jeff's chariot to take us to the home and site hosting the party. We were early and that gave us time to unwind and play, as Don, dressed to the role, bartended various marvelous concoctions.


Jeff has always been the least Type A of all of us former denizens of Bar employment, so I can't say that I often saw him unhappy or surly (I wish I could say the same of me as I have done unhappy and surly more frequently than I can count), but on Saturday night, his grin was as broad and luminescent as can be. It was a good size crowd and the food and conversation flowed, and the testimonials poured forth in equal measure, for a man who deserved their good offices. I was so happy to share this with him and my friends that I could almost have floated off the floor myself (and that without the help of any brew).


I do not fall asleep easily, and that was true even in the king size bed in which I could have played field hockey, but when I did, I slept through till nearly 9. Victoria dropped me off at the Newman Center for Mass. Having never been to a college joined Newmana Center I was amused by the many interludes for various songs and blessings that you'd never see at my more traditional parish but realized that the usual timing for Mass at my place was a lot less than here. I had to leave just after communion. The service may well still be going on at the Berkeley Newman Center. She kindly helped me hie thee to a Starbucks so I could have my too late morning coffee and become aware again of my surroundings. And then Jeff and his friend Steve picked us up for a drive around the neighborhood (wow, craftsmans galore, just like in Pasadena) and a most splendid brunch at Picante.  And now Jeff was like us, me Victoria, Nancy and Russ, able to say that "Tomorrow, I have the gift of my own time".  Jeff couldn't imagine not having to get to work before 9 and being able to call the entirety of his day without answering to anyone.


We had about an hour or two to kill before his taking me back to Oakland, and so we sojourned at another Starbucks and chatted about the past and the future, and laughed and revelled in our common ground on so many subjects. And then this wonderful weekend was over. 


At Oakland, while I was at a cell phone charging station, I ran into a young man who installs security surveillance in places like airports and a flight attendant about my age. That she could have done work with the public for any length of time seemed impossible given her upbeat and comedic nature. As it turned out this was her second career. For years she had worked in colleges, at desks. She had always wanted to be a flight attendant. Ah a kindred spirit, a person who had turned the page! She had only been a flight attendant for six months and she LOVED it, she said. She was going back home as a passenger to Burbank. I was back to heart in throat about flying mode, and I asked them both about it. The young man was only marginally helpful by advising me that if something bad happened, they'd turn down the oxygen so we would all pass out (gulp some more, now I'll be watching for that!). Sandy (shout out to Sandy of Southwest) said, she never heard anything like that, and said to me that the bumps were no big deal, and all that stuff about the safety in flying and then she said, "Just think of the bumps as a nice massage!". 

That was more helpful.  And we made it back to LA in 50 minutes. There was a little turbulence. I tried to think of a massage.  No go.


Late this morning, I called Jeff's cell phone. I wished him a happy first day taking off into retirement. Got an e mail later. He had slept till 9. Things are starting off really well.

No comments: