Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1, 2013 in the Djinn's Neighborhood

A quiet day in the neighborhood on the throes of what is likely to be another messy year, human beings being what we are. But for now, ease and enjoyment without any obligation for the whole day!  I love my block, don't you?

As I write I am watching an absolutely abysmal, and surprisingly pleasing movie on the Hallmark Channel. I have been to Mass, this I had forgotten a Holy Day of Obligation. The stores that are open are empty as are the parking places surrounding them, which makes it all the more splendid a day. Small graces.

 
Yesterday was busy, seeing a San Francisco based friend I used to work with for the first time in many months, lunch at Greenblatt's on the Strip and a lingering coffee next to the heater (it being unseasonably cold in Los Angeles) at Coffee Bean Tea and Leaf.  Then a calm dinner at a favorite locale, Della Terra with two different friends. I am sparing them being pictured here, so I picture only myself as proof of celebration.


Silly outfit, no?  I have sent the adjoining person's photo to her. She was pleased with the outcome. Me?  Not so much. I haven't taken a good picture since I was 20. I am long past 20. Seeing this pic reminded me of the resolution I did not make again this year, losing weight. But it would be nice if I could exercise will power, just once.

So, what do I wish for me, and for you?  There is no such thing as a worry-free life, or a life without difficulty, so that would be a foolish one. But I do wish that each of us remains patient and strong and as loving as we possibly can given what is thrown at us this year. I wish internal peace for each of us. I wish God's Grace to give us all the fuel we need from day to day.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

drhockey13 said...

The end of one year and the beginning of another invariably reminds me of Dec. 31, 1979, when I attended a party that you and your dad threw in your Bronx apartment. I was never a big New Year's Eve guy, but the combination of people, music, food and drink made it by far the best New Year's Eve gathering I've ever been too, and albeit more than a bit late, I offer you my heartfelt thanks.

For 2013, I wish you peace, health, joy, prosperity and a closer walk with our Lord.