Thursday, January 3, 2013

Piquing the Curiosity and Energizing a Blog (I hope)


So, last night I was channel surfing and finally hit the right time for Charlie Rose on PBS. His guests always grab me, when I do catch him. I remember sitting, mesmerized, one half hour listening to a man talk about play writing, before I found out it was John Patrick Shanley of "Doubt" and "Moonstruck" fame. Another time I was enchanted by Gabriel Byrne--this time I knew who it was.

The second half of Charlie was what stopped me cold last night. Two guys from WNYC in New York (where, little digression, I worked as an intern back in 1975 or so, in the Municipal Building), have this program called "Radiolab". 

http://wnycradiolab.tumblr.com/

It is about stuff, like how things work, not only scientifically, but philosophically, historically, emotionally--if I understood it. It's talk radio on a mind blowing canvas--they go where things lead them and then try to explain it to the listener.

Sometimes I worry that there really is nothing to write about here. But then I listen to people like these and I find myself ready to explore--something I do with great resistance even though I love it when I actually do so. To hear them tell it,and I think it is true, there is nothing that isn't really interesting. Not in any moment in anyone's life. Or in the joining of lives and events.

It is about taking nothing for granted, really, isn't it?  Life, I mean. The things we hear and see and feel and think. Some song comes to mind, I think it is by John Cougar Mellencamp, "Your Time is Now."  He says something about some of us letting too much pass us. I am guilty of that, sticking to the safe, or perceived to be safe, which of course is not ultimately safe at all.

So, I had a curiosity infusion yesterday. Maybe I'll pass it along this year in my blog. And I think I'll try to get a podcast of these interesting guys I saw on Charlie Rose.

Just spent a moment considering my own consciousness. Ever done it? It gets kind of scary when you focus on yourself being conscious and thinking. Like you might fall into a hole. But then it could be a marvelous jaunt couldn't it?  What's to be afraid of?

Oops I need to come back to condo earth. There's an HOA meeting in a half hour! 







No comments: